CONTACT INFORMATION
P. O. Box 339
301 Brooklyn St.
Morrisville, VT 05661
Get Directions
Phone: (802) 888-3318
Fax: (802) 888-6177
e-mail us
Office Hours
M-F 8 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Parish Histories

St. Teresa’s Roman Catholic Church

    A lot for the church in Hyde Park was obtained on October 7, 1870 by Father Pierre Savoie. The land was sold to Bishop de Goesbriand for $150.00 by Russell S. Page, Sr. with the conditions that none of the land was to be used as a burying ground. Later the adjoining lot to the east was given to the church by Senator C. S. Page with clear title. There was a stipulation that no building be erected thereon.
    In September 1871 a shell of the church was erected.
    In 1875 the first Stations of the Cross were added.
    In 1897 a cross and steeple along with the first bell were added, which came from Sears, Roebuck & Co. The Church was dedicated on August 29, 1898 and the first High Mass was on Christmas Eve, 1890.
    The first resident priest was Father JeanMarie Coathuel (1888-1890).
    There were intervals of time that there was no resident priest.
    The next resident priest was Father James. P. Rand (1897-1901). Father Norbert LaChance
served the parish from 1901-1911. Father Pierre E. Boivin came in 1917 until 1937. From that date on the Church has been served by Father Valmore Desautels, Father Francis McDonough, Father Omer L. Dufault, Father Joseph Carrigan, Father Gerard Brochu and Father Edward Freeman.
    The Parishes in Morrisville, Johnson and Eden were first Mission Parishes.

Holy Cross Church

    Morrisville had its own Church — Ho1y Cross — in 1913. The dedication was in 1914.
    In 1931 extensive remodeling and enlarging of Holy Cross Church took place. Extensive ground work was done to improve their appearance. An addition built on the rear of the Church was 40 by 32 feet. This improved the seating capacity and the altar nearly twice as large. A new enlarged heating plant was installed.
    The first Pastor was Father William P. Crosby, followed by Father John M. Kennedy, Father Peter E. Boivin, Father Valmore Desautels, Father Francis E. McDonough, father Omer Dufault, Father Francis Candon, Father Peter Rousseau, Father Bernard Couture, Father Donald Ravey, Father Denis Breton, Father William Beaudin, Father Paul C. Houde, Associate Pastor Father Henry Furman, Father Vincent Chijioke Onunkwo from Nigeria, Father Thomas Nadeau assisting Father Peter Routhier, and in July 2008 Father Francis R. Prive.
    In 1958 Father Dufault made renovations again to Holy Cross.
    In 1994 Thomas Cooney was ordained as Permanent Deacon.
    In 1997 again renovations were made through the efforts of a Fund Drive amounting to $185,000.

St. Gabriel’s Church

    Rev. Omer Dufault celebrated the first Mass in Eden on October 5, 1947.  It was held each weekend at the Herbert and Beatrice Deuso home on Old Deuso Road in the upstairs of the house until 1950.  On February 14, 1949, Father Dufault purchased a parcel of land on Rt. 100 from Herbert, Robert and Ruth Leach for one hundred dollars in the hopes of some day building a new church.
    On June 5, 1960, Father Dufault arranged with the Town of Eden to purchase the one room schoolhouse located at the corner of Rt. 118 and Warren Road to be used as a church.  Children now went to the new central school in town.  The original cross is still located on the top of this building today.  It is believed that five hundred dollars was paid for this property which included a lot size of
136’x86’.
    One March 14, 1962, Moses Larivee of North Hyde Park, who regularly attended Mass in Eden, donated an adjacent one acre parcel of land to St. Gabriel’s.  This allowed more parking area for the church.  Mass was held at this location for approximately sixteen years.  According to Father Dufault, it was not until the purchase of this building that the name of St. Gabriel’s Mission was given to the church.  St. Gabriel’s was a mission of St. Teresa’s in Hyde Park.  In the earlier years, during the winter months, wood fires had to be built before Mass each Sunday.
    Many winters it was just too cold to hold Mass there.  Rudy and Bertha DeLaricheliere, who then owned the Herbert and Beatrice Deuso property, invited parishioners back to the same upstairs room of their home for Masses.  
    In 1964, parishioners began planning for a new church under the direction of Rev. Gerard Brochu, pastor at the time.  Fund raising, pledges and money from the Bishop’s Fund financed the $29800 project, along with many hours of donated labor from the parishioners.  The one hundred forty four seat church was completed and dedicated by Bishop Joyce on October 13, 1966.
     In 1997 St. Gabriel’s celebrated their fiftieth anniversary with Father Dufault officiating at the Mass with Father Denis Breton, Pastor.
    Upon the death of Father Dufault in 1999, he willed to St. Gabriel’s over forty thousand dollars.  The Parish Council along with Father Denis Breton decided to build an addition to the church that would serve as a small hall, bathroom, storage and kitchen area.  This was the first time that there would be water and septic at the church.   This addition would serve as a lasting tribute to Father Dufault.   St. Gabriel’s was the first church that he established after being assigned to St. Teresa’s in Hyde Park as a young priest.  He could see the need for Eden to have their own church.  The hall has been named Dufault Hall in his memory.  Upon completion of the project, a dedication service was held on December 2, 2000.
    The Ladies of St. Gabriel’s was formed in 1988 to help with fundraisers and church activities.  They met weekly from May through January to plan activities, fundraisers, and prepare for the bazaar.  Some of those activities include Christmas caroling, delivering food boxes locally and at the Copley House in Morrisville, Thanksgiving boxes, funeral dinners, sugar on snow parties and snowmobile blessings.  These, along with publishing a St. Gabriel’s history book, 1947-1997 and two cookbooks, bake sales, twenty five years of Christmas Bazaars, and a country music fundraiser helped defray church expenses over the years.
    The parishioners of Eden gratefully thank the priests who have served St. Gabriel’s:  Father Omer Dufault, Father Joseph Carrigan, Father Miller, Father Gerard Brochu, Father Edward Freeman, Father Philip Boisvert, Father Roger Chevette, Father Donald Ravey, Father Denis Breton, Father William Beaudin, Father Paul Houde, Father Henry Furman, Father Vincent Onunkwo, Father Peter Routhier, and Father Francis Privé.

St. John the Apostle Church

    In 1947, through the efforts of Fr. Omer Dufault and the parishioners, a parcel of land, 1.84 acres, was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Frank LeMay on which to build the church in Johnson. Vermont.
    On December 27, 1948, on the feast of St. John the Apostle, the comer stone was laid.
    In 1949, a second parcel of land, 1.08 acres, was purchased from the LeMays and that was the humble beginnings of St. John the Apostle Catholic Church.
    On April 19, 1949 the first Mass was celebrated by Fr. Omer Dufault, which also happened to be Easter.
    The belfry was completed in 1962 after the church received a gift from Bishop Robert F. Joyce.
    The Roland Dubray family donated the bell that is housed in the tower and was rung for the very first time by Napolean Dubray, patriarch of the family.
    Up until June of 1964, St. John's was a mission of St. Teresa's of Hyde Park. On July 3, 1964 it became a parish under the direction of Fr. Joseph Nugent. A rectory apartment upstairs in the Balch house on Stearns Street was provided until 1973.
    On a Sunday in 1968, during a Mass, Fr. Nugent burned the mortgage.
    In June of 2000, another realignment by the Diocese was done and we became a mission of Holy Cross. We had been full circle.
    Holy Cross and its missions once again were informed that they would be under the guidance of a new priest, Father. Paul Houde in 2003.
    In 2004 Father Henry Furman was assigned as Associate Pastor of Holy Cross, later assigned as Pastor to the Blessed Sacrament Church in Stowe and St. Johns parish in Johnson.
    In 2008 realignment by the Diocese was done and the names of all four parishes were
Suppressed and they would be known as The Most Holy Name of Jesus Parish.

November 2008
DECREE OF ERECTION
    The Parish of the Most Holy Name of Jesus Morrisville, Vermont For over sixty years the Catholic Faithful of Morrisville, Vermont, have been served by Holy Cross Parish, and for over one hundred and twenty years the Catholic Faithful of Hyde Park, Vermont, have been served by St. Teresa Parish, and for nearly sixty years the Catholic Faithful of Johnson,
Vermont has been served by St. John the Apostle Parish, and for over sixty years the Catholic Faithful of Eden, Vermont, have been served by St. Gabriel Mission Church. During that time many people have heard the Word of God, have worshipped and received the sacraments of the Church in these three parishes and mission church. In an effort to reorganize and revitalize the People of God in this portion of the Roman Catholic Church in the Diocese of Burlington, it seemed necessary to make new provisions for the spiritual care of the parishioners of Holy Cross Parish, St. Teresa Parish, St. John the Apostle Parish and St. Gabriel Mission.
    Accordingly, the Presbyteral Council was heard in accord with canon 515, §2 of the Code of
Canon Law on September 23, 2008, and determined that Holy Cross Parish, St. Teresa Parish, St. John the Apostle Parish and St. Gabriel Mission be suppressed and that The Parish of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, encompassing the territory previously entrusted to Holy Cross Parish, St. Teresa Parish, St. John the Apostle Parish and St. Gabriel Mission, be erected for the pastoral care of Catholics in this portion of Vermont. The parishioners, also having been consulted and having given their support, agree to work in concert with their pastor and neighboring parishioners as a single parish. Therefore, I hereby erect The Parish of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, Morrisville, Vermont. This erection shall be
effective at 12:01 A.M., November 1, 2008, The Solemnity of All Saints. The parishioners of Holy Cross Parish, St. Teresa Parish, St. John the Apostle Parish and St. Gabriel Mission continue as members of The Parish of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, Morrisville, Vermont.
    All registers containing records of baptism, con?rmation, marriage and burials hitherto preserved by Holy Cross Parish, St. Teresa Parish, St. John the Apostle Parish, and St. Gabriel Mission are conveyed to The Parish of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, Morrisville, Vermont, and will be faithfully preserved according to canon 535, paragraphs 1-5, of the Code of Canon Law at The Parish of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, P.O. Box 339, Morrisville, Vermont. However, the church buildings shall retain their patronal names, namely, Holy Cross, St. Teresa, St. John the Apostle and St. Gabriel. Since Holy Cross Parish, St. Teresa Parish, St. John the Apostle Parish and St. Gabriel Mission will be suppressed, the goods and obligations of Holy Cross Parish, St. Teresa Parish, St. John the Apostle Parish and St. Gabriel Mission will belong to The Parish of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, P.O. Box 339, Morrisville, Vermont.
    Given at Burlington, Vermont, this twenty-ninth day of September, in the year of Our Lord two thousand and eight, the Feast of the Archangels Gabriel, Michael and Raphael.

The Most Reverend Salvatore R. Matano
Bishop of Burlington
Reverend John J. McDermott Chancellor
and Moderator of the Curia

Copyright © 2017 Most Holy Name of Jesus Parish. All Rights Reserved.
Site design and hosting by Green Mountain DeZynes®

Problems/Suggestions for this website: Email Us
Find our church:
Holy Cross (Morrisville)